Open Book/Open Mind Conversation with Michael Waldman
Sunday, May 22, 2016 4:00pm
Montclair Public Library Auditorium
“In 16 states, there are new voting rules designed to make it harder to vote for the first time in a high-turnout election. This is the first presidential election in 50 years without the full strength of the Voting Rights Act,” Michael Waldman said in a March interview on MSNBC.
Michael Waldman, the President of NYU’s Brennan Center for Justice will discuss the fight to preserve voting rights in this country. A former speechwriter for President Bill Clinton, he is the author of a new book “The Fight to Vote” the compelling story of our struggle to uphold our most fundamental democratic ideals. He appears frequently Good Morning America, PBS News Hour and many others. Elise Boddie, a nationally known expert on civil rights at Rutgers Law School, and former Director of Litigation for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, will conduct the interview on this timely topic.
Sponsored by Susan and Thomas Dunn
Become a Montclair Library Friend!
The Montclair Library Friends is an organization created to raise awareness of and expand the services and programs of the Montclair Public Library — Main Library, Bellevue Avenue Library, and the virtual library — advocate for MPL, and manage volunteer programs.
With your support and voice, The Montclair Library Friends will:
- Enhance community awareness of our Library and services.
- Help to expand library outreach and services throughout Montclair.
- Provide volunteer services through our Library Ambassadors program.
- Advocate for the library.
- Sustain the Montclair Public Library as the vital center of the community.
Join the Montclair Library Friends for an annual $10 fee and receive membership benefits:
- Subscription to the Friends newsletter.
- Attendance and voting privileges at Montclair Library Friends meetings.
- Opportunities to join committees and participate in the volunteer program.
- An even better library!
There are 2 ways to join:
- To register now and pay online with a credit card, please press this link. Credit Card Registration
- To register and pay by check or cash, please print and complete the paper form and submit it by mail or in person. Paper Form Registration
In addition, registration forms are available at the Main and Bellevue Avenue Library